Your boiler works hard every day to bring together gas, electricity and water to heat up the water for washing and your central heating system. It heats up, cools down, pumps and makes sure your home is warm and comfortable.
Knowing how hard your boiler works, you really need to make sure you are looking after it, and the most important thing is to make sure you have an annual boiler service carried out.
Many people wrongly believe a boiler service is an unnecessary expense, but please read on to find out why you should service your boiler every year. You may be surprised how it could actually save you money and even your life in the long run.
1. Servicing your boiler reduces the likelihood of unnecessary repairs or replacement.
Having an annual service ensures that any problems are picked up sooner rather than later, meaning we can repair or replace any worn or broken parts before it becomes a really big issue.
2. Regular boiler checks can save you money on your energy bills.
An inefficient boiler means higher energy bills. As part of your annual service our engineers ensure your boiler is running as efficiently as possible. If the efficiency of your boiler is really poor we may recommend having a new boiler installed.
3. If you’re a landlord, boiler safety is a legal requirement.
By law anyone renting out their property is required to ensure a Gas safety check has been carried out whereby a qualified Gas Safe engineer will check all gas appliances, including the boiler. If you own a property and do not do this you are breaking the law and put the lives of your tenants at risk.
4. Boiler services help to maintain your boiler’s manufacturer guarantee.
Many boilers come with a long guarantee. As a Worcester Bosch accredited installer, many of the boilers we install have a 10 year guarantee. However, if you don’t maintain the annual servicing of your boiler, you risk voiding the guarantee.
5. Annual Boiler Servicing ensures your boiler is running safely.
During an annual service the Engineer will check your boiler is not giving off dangerous carbon monoxide fumes. Thousands of people are rushed to hospital every year with carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty boilers which can prove fatal. It’s also really important that you have a CO alarm installed as well. If you would like us to do this for you please ask when you book in for your annual service.
During a Boiler Service you can expect the Engineer to do the following:
• Remove the boiler casing and look over all the components
• Check the gas pressure and flow is correct
• A flue gas analyser will be used to make sure the boiler is burning the right mixture of gas and air, and that the exhaust gases are correct and safe.
• Check that all the electrical connections are clean and in good condition
• Check the fans and other key components are working efficiently
• Check that seals are intact
• See that the electrodes are in a good condition
• Safety devices are checked over
• Check the condensate trap
• Check over all the water and gas pipework
• Check that your Boiler is working safely and efficiently.
If your boiler has been installed in a cupboard, please make sure you adhere to the manufacturer's recommended clearances so it can work safely and be accessed easily for a Boiler Service. Air vents, grilles and flues must be kept free from blockages. If you feel your Boiler is not running correctly do not remove the case. Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally qualified to remove the Boiler casing. If you think there might be a problem with your boiler, call a Gas Safe registered Engineer as gas is extremely dangerous and can cause leaks, fires, explosions and Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
An annual boiler service is just £75. Not really a huge price to pay if it helps keep your family safe and could prevent you having to pay out more in the long run, is it?
All our engineers undergo specialist manufacturer training for brands including Worcester Bosch, Vaillant, Glowworm, Baxi, Potterton, Viessman, Ideal and Alpha.
Roost Heating covers the Hampshire area centralised around Winchester, Eastleigh, Romsey, Southampton, Bishops Waltham, Hedge End and Locks Heath.